I love this recipe so much! It’s my mom’s recipe, and it always turns out delicious and is very easy! It’s a great recipe if you’re entertaining guests or just want a good, hot meal. I usually make it on Sunday nights because it takes a little time to chop the veggies and uses two pans (one for the sauce, one for rice) so cleanup takes longer. BUT it could definitely be a good weeknight meal if you buy the veggies pre chopped, which I do sometimes, and/or have the rice already cooked or use minute rice.
Here it is!
- 2 Tablespoons Smart Balance Butter
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cups chopped onion, celery, green bell pepper
- 1 cup onion, 1/2 cup celery, 1/2 cup bell pepper
- Sometimes the grocery store (H-E-B) will have this pre-chopped in their veggie section, and it will be combined with garlic too. I generally buy it and it saves a lot of time!
- 4 cloves garlic
- 4 Tablespoons All-purpose Flour
- 2 Tablespoons Tomato Paste
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire Sauce
- Sprinkle of red pepper, salt, and Louisiana hot sauce or to taste
- 1 pound shrimp (or crawfish!)
- 2 cups of chicken broth
- Brown Rice or Cauliflower Rice
Saute veggies and garlic in butter and olive oil about 20 minutes. Add flour and tomato paste. Stir it all together. Then add all other seasonings and stir. Add shrimp and cook about 3-5 minutes or until the shrimp are pink. Pour in chicken broth and simmer 10-15 minutes or until sauce has thickened up. Serve over brown rice or cauliflower rice, for a healthier option!
It’s a perfect dish for these cold nights! Hope you enjoy it.